28-In-28: The Hamburglars, er Gladiators!by SICHL Insider | August 15, 2015, 11:44 PM ET
Now let's examine the World Conference champs, the Hamburg Gladiators. Yep, you heard that right, the World Conference champs! The team that came within a hair of winning the Continental Cup! But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades! Actually I am jealous of that amazing run, and need to figure out the secret! Let's look at the pesky Glads/Hamburglars and pick em apart to see what may be in store for 15/16!
Hamburg's current cash position $24.2M Revenue:
- The team had 94.4% attendance last season which was 3rd best in the league!!
- Gladiators had $66M in non-playoff revenue ranking them a respectable 10th in the SICHL.
- Costulator predicts a revenue increase for the Gladiators this season as the team comes off a Continental Cup finals appearance.
- Hamburg had playoff revenue last season and that is expected to continue for this upcoming season.
- Expected Season Revenue $67.4M with anticipated playoff revenues.
Based on the roster here is the Costulators forecast of the Gladiators expenditures:
- Current Roster 46M, Expected farm team costs 1.5M.
- Franchise Player 5.5M, RFA resigning 9M.
- 1 expected roster spot to fill through UFA signings/rookies.
- Expected team expenditures in the $65-$67M range.
- Forecast Bank Balance for the Glads = $21M + playoff revenues
Unrestricted Free Agents:
Well, Henry, you have ten UFAs to deal with but no easier decision than resigning Daniel Sedin. The rest, let em go! You got the cash, now get back to free agency and restock!
Restricted Free Agents:
Seven players on the RFA side. Get Turris locked up first, and then Despres, Foligno, Beck and Campbell as well!
I love the forwards on this team! Top 6 is pretty solid with Sedin, Turris, Vrbata, Strome, Filppula, and Smith. Most fairly young!
This team pretty much has all four lines in place with the likes of Kane, Beck, Tlusty, Foligno, Dupuis and Jaskin rounding out the bottom 6. May need a couple of cheaper UFA upgrades.
Defense is just ok. Top 4 will include Martin, Hainsey and Lovejoy and possibly Strait or Despres. Good mix of vets and youth, however it doesn't have that top pairing stud after dealing away Weber last season. One thing going for the Glads is the defensive depth of having Pouliot, Maata, Smith, Gormley and Harrington (Weber trade piece) in the system. All kids with potential. IMHO, Henry should add a top pairing defenseman in free agency which would help this team a lot.
The biggest weakness will be, yes, will be in goal next season. Mike Smith will not repeat his performance in 15/16. The team has some pretty decent prospects in the system in Jack Campbell and Zach Furcale. Look for an upgrade for the #1 job. Overall this is a pretty decent team that needs an upgrade in net!
In the System:
Top 3 prospects include:
1. Ryan Strome - Offensively gifted center with great instincts. Can make opposing d-men look silly. Drafted 7th overall by the Glads in 2011, Strome will make a top 6 impact on the team this coming season. Big upside!
2. Simon Despres - Great size, very mobile defensman with good upside. May play some top 4 minutes in 15/16 for the Glads. Not an overly physical guy despite his big frame. Can log big minutes if needed.
3. Derrick Pouliot - Projects to be an offensive top 4 defensman. Very mobile with elite vision and passing skills. Very good skater and a blistering shot from the point. Will play for the GHA Grunts this coming season.
Henry has eight picks in the SICHL draft including his 1st rounder which will be the 21st overall selection. With all the D depth, I suspect Henry will draft a forward. Possibly a Colin White, Evgeny Svechnikov, Travis Konecny, or Joel Eriksson Ek.
The man of many words and the power rankings guru had little to say about his club but seemed to be selling this group a little short "I definitely won't be making a return trip to the finals with my current lineup and I need to focus on trading a few more assets to properly rebuild."
Don't be hard on this squad! Not a ton of work to do, to make this team super competitive once again! Get a goalie and top pairing defenseman and we'll talk at playoff time!
One of his good friends from the west had this to say about the Glads "Henry is our league's Thomas the Tank Engine -- The Little Hamburglar That Could. He's unpredictable (likely owing to his filthy ginger-ness), but he keeps finding ways to stay relevant. I'm excited to see what kind of impulsive free agent signings look overpriced at the start of the year but turn into MVPs by the all-star break. Go Henry!"
Will Henry work his offseason magic? I think the Hambuglars will be a playoff again in 15/16 if Henry patches the holes. Trade assets include picks and one or two of his defense prospects.